[NIFL-WOMENLIT:907] Free Homebuying Literacy Curricula and Materials Available to Practitioners (cross posted)

From: Deborah Schwartz (deborah@alri.org)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 12:26:45 EDT

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:26:45 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Deborah Schwartz" <deborah@alri.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:907] Free Homebuying Literacy Curricula and Materials Available to Practitioners (cross posted)

Hello everyone,

I would like to share information about a free homebuying readiness
curriculum resource with the list. About four years ago, the FannieMae
Foundation worked with Deborah Short and Marilyn Gillespie, then at the
Center of Applied Linguistics (CAL), to develop a homebuying readiness
content-based ESOL curriculum for intermediate and advanced learners,
entitled _How to Buy a Home in the United States_.

Two years later, also in conjunction with CAL, a sister curriculum was
developed for ABE students, _How to Buy Your Own Home_. Both curricula and
many supplemental materials in various languages can be ordered, free of
charge, through the foundation's electronic ordering form at:
fmf.pubs@fanniemaefoundation.org, or through the following phone numbers:
for the ESOL curriculum, 1-800-544-9224, for the ABE curriculum,
1-800-539-4051, for the multi-lingual brochure, How to Become a Citizen/How
to Become a Homeowner, 1-800-544-9213, or 1-800-693-7557, for the brochures,
Choosing the Mortgage That's Right for You, and Opening the Door to a Home
of Your Own, 1-800-688-4663 or 1-800-782-2729.

Also, I wanted to let folks know that I am available to provide some
preliminary technical assistance for programs which have begun to integrate
the curricula into their existing adult ed. programs. Finally, I want to
point practitioners to our 1999 homebuying readiness Web pages posted on the
Adult Literacy Resource Institute's home page, http://www.alri.org. under
Special Projects. The homebuying literacy teachers' lessons, resources on
teaching homebuying, students' writing and
the overview on content-based instruction and staff development has been
really useful to the practitioners who have used it.

Hope this is useful to you.

Deborah Schwartz
Adult Literacy Resource Institute
National Homebuying Readiness Curricula T.A. Project