[NIFL-WOMENLIT:872] Re: Excerpt from Thursday Notes

From: Sondra Cuban (sondra_cuban@gse.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 16:07:06 EDT

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:07:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sondra Cuban <sondra_cuban@gse.harvard.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:872] Re: Excerpt from Thursday Notes

Daphne, I hope it is OK that I add my personal opinion to the
conversation. I think attentive people who are caring and take
active roles, are critical for child development including mothers,
fathers, grandparents or primary caregivers (ones who children
identify)--all of those people in children's environments. Even
teachers. Family literacy programs that promote intergenerational
approaches not just for parenting techniques, but for active
learning, are important because they validate diverse family
structures and cultures whether or not the mother is central to this
dynamic and they advocate outcomes for everyone who is involved.
About abstracting rat families to human families, well, I think there
is something to be said for that beyond a couple of variables.
Thanks! Sondra
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:46:25 -0400 (EDT) Daphne Greenberg
<ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu> wrote:

> The following is an excerpt from Thursday Notes.  I was wondering what people thought about it:
>
> Attentive Moms May Promote High Intelligence Offspring
>
> Here's a boost for family literacy programs: how parents treat children may influence which of their offspring's genes turn on, according to a new study
> by McGill University scientists. Researchers found that gene activity is influenced by the environment--and the most important feature of that environment is the mother's parenting. In a series of experiments, rat pups whose mothers were highly attentive grew up to be less stressed and scored higher in intelligence and memory tests than pups whose mothers did not give them much tactile attention. The smarter rats scored high on tests throughout their lives. Scientists found extra connections between nerve cells in tissue samples as well as more growth hormones and neurotransmitters critical to learning in the actively nurtured offspring.
> According to researchers, the study provides evidence of a direct relationship between maternal care and brain development, including spatial
> learning in adulthood. Teaching good parenting techniques in family literacy programs promotes active parenting.
> See the study reported in August issue of Nature Neuroscience or March 27 Newsweek.
> ___
> A Fact Sheet from the Division of Adult Education and Literacy
> Office of Vocational and Adult Education
> OVAE Homepage http://www.ed.gov/offices/OVAE/
> >From the Desk of Ronald S. Pugsley, Director, DAEL
> Office of Vocational and Adult Education
> Editor: Sarah Newcomb
> Production: Rose Tilghman
> July 27, 2000
>

> Daphne Greenberg
> Center for the Study of Adult Literacy
> Georgia State University
> University Plaza
> Atlanta, GA 30303-3083
> Fax: 404-651-1415
> Ph: 404-651-0400
> E-mail: alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu

Sondra Cuban
Email: Sondra_Cuban@gse.harvard.edu
(NCSALL)Graduate School of Education, Harvard University
Nichols House, 7 Appian Way
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617)495-1712