[NIFL-WOMENLIT:833] Re: How does a feminist teach?

From: Deborah Schwartz (deborah@alri.org)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 15:34:04 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:34:04 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Deborah Schwartz" <deborah@alri.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:833] Re: How does a feminist teach?

Hi all, ( this is a medium-long message)

I think that whether we or our students call ourselves feminists, the
feminist movement- both waves of it and the many strands of it within both
waves- has informed so much of our adult literacy teaching and learning. For
instance, if we ever teach and learn about civic participation and the
voting process in this country, we have a women's movement to thank for
advocating and struggling and winning the right for women to vote. And
that's only content. Bringing real life into the classroom and intellectual
query into our lives is also an idea deeply rooted in feminism and the
women's movement. Remember that old phrase: "the personal is political"?
Oye, so many ways in which the women's movement, popular education, and  the
day-to-day practice of teaching and learning overlap.

I'm reminded of what happened when I was coordinating this family literacy
program and slowly but surely, the women I was teaching started taking
control of how they wanted to study for the GED and run the program; I
worked with the same group of ten women and their children, on an off, for
two year cycles. It was a great model to work closely with a small number of
families and to let them mentor and teacher other in the neighborhood.

In this particular group, Reading/Writing TABE levels within the class
ranged from 2nd- 10th grade. One day, during a community meeting, the women
reached consensus that in lieu of studying for the social studies section of
the GED from the Steck/Vaughn text books, that they wanted to study welfare
reform and the political process of passing laws. This is a long story that
I won't tell in detail on this list. During those two year, the outcomes
were varied; 1/2 the women passed their GEDs, all continued in schooling in
some form or another- community college, other programs-- many went on to
paid jobs, some are still on TAFDC but all registered to vote, spoke to
their congress people and are advocating for themselves and others in their
neighborhoods. I never asked them if they were feminists-- my arrogance-
though I never assumed they weren't. I think if we had had a study circle, a
curriculum, that explored the women's movement, in other words, if I offered
them a chance to read about this so closeted movement, they might identify
as feminists. I just never thought to do that.

Thank you for positing the question-- it's such a meaningful one. What is
feminism? What has the women's movement taught us about literacy? How does
it play out in our literacy learning and teaching? Thank you and I look
forward to hearing more on this list.

Deborah Schwartz
Boston