[NIFL-WOMENLIT:732] Re: New book

From: JATDP@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 12:54:16 EDT

Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:54:16 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: JATDP@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:732] Re: New book

Marilyn & Daphne
The author of Saving Bernice, Jody Raphael at the Center for Impact Research
in Chicago, along with the University of Michigan School of Social Work, has
done quite a bit of research on the interface of domestic violence and
welfare. They studied the various state processes and results of implementing
the violence waiver of TANF. The reports are on the center's web site:
www.impactresearch.org
The book grew out of the research. I haven't had a chnace to read it yet
either, but I am fairly certain that Jody would not say domestic violence is
a poor woman's issue.

Judy Titzel
Providence, RI

<<I just came across an ad for a new book which may be interesting:
Saving Bernice: Battered Women, Welfare, and Poverty.  By Jody Raphael,
Center for Impact Research.  $16.95.
In this book, the ad states that the author "demonstrates convincingly that
domestic violence and dependence on public assistance are intricately linked."
According to the ad, you may order the book through amazon.com>>