[NIFL-WOMENLIT:654] Re: Men's involvement

From: Kathleen Bombach (kathleenb@epcc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 13:23:37 EDT

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Kathleen Bombach" <kathleenb@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:654] Re: Men's involvement

I think it's interesting what this discussion reminds us of.  The first women-only group I was ever part of was when I was a child.  After dinner, the men in my extended (southern) family went into the living room to talk and watch sports and the women and girls went in the kitchen to put food away, clean up, and talk.  Women were unwelcome in the living room and men were unwelcome in the kitchen.  Although at the time I thought that it was very unfair--after all, we were doing the work while they sat in front of the TV, I now realize that the women were also creating a space where thay could talk about intimate issues and feelings that no one wanted to talk about with men present.
Kathleen Bombach