[NIFL-WOMENLIT:574] Re: X-Posts from NLA, re: Carmen St. John

From: Chepultepe@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 16:25:42 EST

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:25:42 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Chepultepe@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:574] Re: X-Posts from NLA, re: Carmen St. John

Dear Martha,

Regarding a Freirian perspective, I am not sure if you are aware (and you may
be, so I hope that I am not repeating information)that CABE, (California
Association for Bilingual Education) has a professional strand in Critical
Pedagogy.  This strand meets as institutes or breaks out into sessions where
teachers, high school students, and teacher researchers share how they
facilitate a Frerian perspective with literacy and langauge development.
This arena has been a source of inspiration and a place where I have been
able to refine my own interests in this area.  I have taught bilingual
education for 10 years in CA primary school, multi-age 1-3 grade.  I am
currently in grad school pursuing a higher degree, but plan on continuing
this perspective once I regain entry into a teaching position, level unknown
at this time.  CABE is occurring this week in San Francisco, I am hoping to
attend some of these sessions.   I would like to pursue your question,
brainstorm, share what had transpired in my teaching experience with students
learning English.

Thanks,
MarĂ­a
UCB Ed.D. student in English language, literacy and culture