[NIFL-WOMENLIT:905] Re: x-post from NLA- Sharon Darling's

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylrain@teleport.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 11:30:53 EDT

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:30:53 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylrain@teleport.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:905] Re: x-post from NLA- Sharon Darling's

At 06:30 PM 8/9/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>You may be right but it is against the rules of the IRS to be involved in
>Politics. Tommy

That's too blanket a statement. When you are tax-exempt, you are not allowed
to work for or against candidates. Things get a little fuzzier about ballot
measures, but it's best not to work directly for or against those either.
Contributing money to political campaigns is a no-no. Endorsing either
candidates or ballot measures is also prohibited.

BUT, it's impossible not to be involved in politics, because it permeates
our society, and in fact the work we do is political. It's fine to make
speeches to *anyone* about literacy and its importance -- that's marketing
and education, not "politics." We have been encouraged to invite senators
and representatives and other government officials to visit our programs. We
can call said government officials, just like anyone else, and ask for help
if we get into trouble, or if we want their help on a project we're working
on. Our students can write to them and let them know their views.

Study the law carefully and get to know your rights -- what you can and
can't do. It makes a difference. Just to say that we can't be involved in
politics, period, means that we have no rights to freedom of speech.

I plan to have some information available to my students this year on the
presidential election, since they will be hearing and seeing TV shows about
it. It's a great opportunity to introduce information about how government
in America works.

Sylvan Rainwater . Portland, Oregon, USA . sylrain@teleport.com