[NIFL-WOMENLIT:748] I posted this on the NLA in response to a question from David

From: Andres Muro (andresm@epcc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 11:20:55 EDT

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andres Muro" <andresm@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:748] I posted this on the NLA in response to a question from David

I posted this on the NLA in response to a question from David Rosen. Daphnee
requested that I posted my comments in this list-serve.

As we all know, the majority of participants in literacy programs are women
and are often not seeking employment. Yet, with the focus on wia-nrs, we want
to send them all to work. To paraphrase Andree Catalfamo: -the prevailing
conservative viewpoint is that  women's roles are in the home, unless, they
are poor and destitute. In this case we want them to go to work regardless of
the employment conditions and the pay-

Women are often the main if not the only literacy providers in the home, from
facilitating, health care, to helping with homework, to teaching children
computer skills, to taking children to the museum, the park and the ballet,
to encourage children to seek higher learning, to shopping, to making
environmentally responsible decisions, to making financial decisions.
Literacy programs are spaces for facilitating access to knowledge that women
often use to improve the quality of lives of their households. Literacy
learners often have difficulty articulating reasons why they attend literacy
programs. Yet, in our program, the above listed reasons emerge as very
important.

A while back we had a literacy program that was funded by DHS. As a result of
welfare reform, many poor single mothers lost their benefits and had to find
employment. Many of our students couldn't even find minimum wage employment
and became maids earning below minimum wage. Often, the daughters in these
households, became the surrogate mothers at a very young age. The situation
forced them to take the role of the mother, and ignore their schooling. It is
easy to see how situations like this result in dropping out of school and
repeating the poverty cycle. This brings the important issue about first vs
second and third generation poverty in the US. Generational poverty is much
more difficult to erradicate. Recent immigrants  are willing to make
tremendous sacrifices to help their children succeed. We need to create the
conditions for this.

Andres

In a message dated 6/13/00 3:58:45 AM Central Daylight Time,