[NIFL-WOMENLIT:692] Re: Men Speaking Up

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 09:25:33 EDT

Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 09:25:33 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:692] Re: Men Speaking Up

Friends:

The title of an article last week in The Boston Globe:  "Strong, not silent;
Volunteer groups of men in Greater Boston are taking a stand against domestic
abuse and sexual assault." 4/27/2000.  A simply wonderful article, it made me
feel teary and grateful for this group of men in Gloucester, north of Boston.
 The article described the march by a group of local men against domestic
violence and violence against women.  It was organized by a local antiques
dealer and a local restaurant owner, guys who talked one on one to other men
they knew who wanted to speak out against violence against women but
weren'tsure how to do it, how to organize. The chief organizer wanted this
group to stay within town limits, but he has helped other towns mobilize men
in this cause.

At the beginning of the article he describes his encounter with a woman
watching the parade of July 4, last year.  She was about 70.  Their eyes meet.
"Her mouth opened as he and the other marchers passed by.
--Thank you--the woman said silently.
--Thank you--
Hoague trembled as he walked on.
--Everyone I talked to afterwards had experiences like that--Hoague recalls.
--Maybe the women didn't say anything because they were standing beside a
husband or boyfriend, but they made eye contact.  You could tell what they
were feeling.--"

Andrea