[NIFL-WOMENLIT:985] safety, guilt, cultural norms

From: Golfmech@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 20:46:56 EDT

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:46:56 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Golfmech@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:985] safety, guilt, cultural norms

Today at work, we held a seminar for the students in our school. The topic
was Barriers to Success - It included study skills - including how to use a
library, learning styles, and stress reduction techniques. The purpose was to
educate students about being mindful of  here and now (being as present as
can be). Discussion with the students included how if they had violence in
their lives, they could be mindful of that yet, still work to the best of
their ability. It was amazing to me to see how many women in the group nodded
in agreement when that discussion took place. We addressed the issue of
violence in our students lives without really tackling it head on. We kind of
took the backdoor into the topic. It sets us up perfectly for our next step,
the Needs Assessment to see what issues the students would like to learn more
about. We are addressing the issue of violence slowly and cautiously -  in
order to be respectful of our students needs. We want to make the students
feel safe when addressing the issue of violence.

Kim
Correctional Educator