[NIFL-WOMENLIT:981] safety, guilt, cultural norms

From: Jenny Horsman (jhorsman@idirect.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 22:46:48 EDT

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:46:48 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jenny Horsman" <jhorsman@idirect.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:981] safety, guilt, cultural norms

Thanks Daphne for reminding us to think about several dimensions of safety
as we discuss this difficult stuff on the listserv.   I think all listserv
discussion is difficult because it is hard to put our words out there to an
unknown audience and then we can easily upset each other or feel criticized
and silenced - yet I think it's really important not to be silent.
Discussions about violence have the added dimension of treading in the area
of so many silences and so much shame and touch on the experiences of so
many of us that many will speak from various knowledgeable locations yet not
always be comfortable with how we want to present ourselves to an unknown
audience.   When I led an on-line seminar on the research that led to the
book, in the evaluation at the end many women talked about how hard they had
found it to write - and how often when they saw their words after they had
posted them they judged themselves, thinking how inadequate what they had
said was.  I think it's easy to underestimate how sensitive we can be, and
how hard it can be to launch our thoughts and words out on any theme to an
unknown group of  people - when we can't see people's faces to see how they
are responding - and how easily most of us can feel exposed, judged,
stupid - back to that shame issue again I think. The one concern I have is
that sometimes we can be trying so hard to be careful that we silence
ourselves or each other and don't engaging in challenging discussion - I
hope we won't do that here - but will keep exploring openly and without
judging each other.  Daphne made one suggestion of "rules" that might help
safety - I wonder whether anyone else has any suggestions about what would
make it safer to speak here - and generally what makes it safer to
speak/invite others to speak about issues of violence, especially with
colleagues and students?

One thing I wrote about in the book was the idea that some students will
want the program to be a safe place to tell their story and others will want
it to be a safe place not to have to hear stories.  I found it challenging,
but fascinating exploring with a group of learners how we could meet
conflicting needs of this sort.  Have others found that tension in the
classroom? If so how have you worked with it?

Talk about violence I think can often lead to a slide into talk about "them"
as if "they" are not also us - It's so much easier to talk about the
problems "they" have rather than our own - whether the "they" is learners or
another culture.  I worry about how we can work with that.  I've tended to
think in terms of most cultures (I don't know about every one - but I
wonder) accepting some aspect of violence against women and children and
activists in every culture struggling to make changes.  As you say Deborah,
we are all shaped by the social norms of the societies we live in, but those
norms do change over time - so how can literacy workers and programs support
changing norms and attitudes????

Sometimes the issue of violence can unite us across other divides, I found
teaching a women's group where we were focussing on how to draw your whole
self into strengthening learning made a tone of "fellow traveller" possible
as we all talked about the struggle to look after ourselves and learn to
relax, or how to cope with blanking when we panic  - whereas when we focus
only on literacy I experience the divide between teacher and student as much
more stark.  I do think there is an important piece to "worry at" about the
tensions we may feel as workers to be "together," have already  "got over
it" if we have experienced violence ourselves.  I'm not sure that there is
any such state as one of having "got over it"  - so I think there is a
complicated pressure for literacy workers.

Oh dear I think I am too tired to think clearly, I'd better stop  - I look
forward to more comments on all these issues and many more....
Jenny