[NIFL-WOMENLIT:831] Re: How does a feminist teach?

From: joanie (joanie@educ.umass.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 13:54:33 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:54:33 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: joanie <joanie@educ.umass.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:831] Re: How does a feminist teach?

--Boundary_(ID_/vU+ok25AMZIHNK/QsWN+w)

After reading an excellent example of practices (from Kate Nonesuch) hat
help us value individuals and create an environment that  opens up spaces
and opportunities for us all to question our practices  and ways of being (
whether one is a teacher or a literacy learner), the statement made by Kate
" "While I don't expect that any of my students are or will become
feminists, I know that my feminist stance makes me a different kind of
teacher."   was troubling and feels like a contradiction to me.

I would hope all would embrace the items on Kate's list as desirable goals
  without the clause that these are strictly feminist attitudes of
teaching.  Why not hope that some students may be or become feminists?  And
why put these action and attitudes in a box with a label?  What a teacher
considers feminist  learners may call something else.

Joanie Cohen-Mitchell
Literacy Support Initiative
Center for International Education
285 Hills South
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  10003
joanie@educ.umass.edu

--Boundary_(ID_/vU+ok25AMZIHNK/QsWN+w)

an excellent example of practices (from Kate Nonesuch) hat help us value
individuals and create an environment that&nbsp; opens up spaces and
opportunities for us all to question our practices&nbsp; and ways of
being ( whether one is a teacher or a literacy learner), the statement
made by Kate &quot; <font size=3>&quot;While I don't expect that any of
my students are or will become feminists, I know that my feminist stance
makes me a different kind of teacher.&quot; </font>&nbsp; was troubling
and feels like a contradiction to me.&nbsp; <br>
I would hope all would embrace the items on Kate's list as desirable
goals <br>
&nbsp;without the clause that these are strictly feminist attitudes of
teaching.&nbsp; Why not hope that some students may be or become
feminists?&nbsp; And why put these action and attitudes in a box with a
label?&nbsp; What a teacher considers feminist&nbsp; learners may call
something else.&nbsp; <br>
joanie@educ.umass.edu

--Boundary_(ID_/vU+ok25AMZIHNK/QsWN+w)--