Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Do I have to pay Social Security tax on the money I earn doing housework?
  I do housework for two of my neighbors. I work one day a week for each of them. Do I have to pay Social Security tax on the money they pay me?

If you are a "household worker,” your wages are covered by Social Security if you earn $1,700 in 2009 (it was $1,600 in 2008) or more (including cash for transportation expenses) during the year from any one employer.

Household workers include babysitters, maids, cooks, laundry workers, butlers, gardeners, chauffeurs, people who do house cleaning or repair work, or anyone employed in or around someone else's home. (This does not apply if you are under age 18 during any part of the year and household work is not your principal job.) Your employer must deduct your share of the Social Security taxes from your wages and report your earnings to the Internal Revenue Service. If the wages aren't reported, you will not earn Social Security credits for your work.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?