Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How can I check my Social Security earnings for accuracy?
  How can I check my Social Security earnings for accuracy?

It is important that you review page 3 of the Social Security Statement you receive each year to make sure the earnings record is correct and that we have recorded each year that you worked. You are the only person who can look at the earnings chart and know whether it is complete and correct. If our records are wrong, you may not receive all the benefits to which you are entitled.

If some, or all, of your earnings from the last year are not shown on your Statement, it could be that we were processing last year's earnings reports when your Statement was prepared. Your complete earnings for the last year will be shown on the next Statement you receive.

Call us right away at 1-800-772-1213 (7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time) if any earnings for years before last year are shown incorrectly. If possible, have your W-2 or tax return for those years available.

If you do not have a current Statement, you can request one by completing an online Request for Social Security Statement, or download and complete Form SSA-7004. You also can request the form by calling 1-800-772-1213 or by filing your request at your local Social Security office.

And remember, when you request a Statement, you will not automatically receive one for another year.

  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?