Skip to content
Social Security Online
SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Find An Answer to Your Question

Are you an employer? See answers to your W-2 Reporting questions.
Ask a Question
 My FAQ Update Notifications 
  hide accessible links  
 Search by Category View Category Hierarchy
     Search Tips? 
  Answer ID  

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  Can I have federal taxes withheld from my Social Security check?
  Can I have federal taxes withheld from my Social Security check?

Although you are not required to have federal taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, you may find that easier than paying quarterly estimated tax payments. To have federal taxes withheld, or to change your original withholding request, you will need to:

  • complete IRS Form W-4V
  • select the percentage (7, 10, 15, or 25 percent) of your monthly benefit amount you want withheld
  • sign and return the form to your local Social Security office  by mail or in person

You may obtain IRS Form W-4V from the IRS Website at  or by calling the IRS toll-free number, 1-800-829-3676.  You may also obtain the form by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.  People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday.

Please Note: You will need the Adobe Reader software to view this file. You may obtain this software from Adobe.

The Social Security Administration is not authorized to withhold  state taxes, if any, from your benefit payment.

  Answers others found helpful
  Users who viewed this answer have also viewed
Search for Another Answer
  Search for Another Answer  

Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map         Need Larger Text?