Click here to skip navigation Home  |  Subject Index  |  Important Links  |  Contact Us  |  Help

U.S. Office of Personnel Management - Ensuring the Federal Government has an effective civilian workforce

Advanced Search

Insurance Services Programs

Federal Employee Health Benefit Program

RI 70-6 For Individuals Receiving Compensation from the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP)

How to Change Enrollment

If you are enrolled and want to change your enrollment in Open Season, use the postcard on the back cover of this booklet to request a registration form to make a change. (Your health plan will send you its brochure. You can use the postcard to order brochures for other plans.)

Cut the postcard along the perforated lines, fill in the information, and mail it to the OWCP address printed on the card. If you order brochures, you will be given another form to make a change.

Your new plan will mail you an identification card. If you need services before you receive your new card, contact your new plan at the member services number in your brochure.

If you decide not to change your enrollment, no action by you is neccessary.

You may voluntarily cancel your enrollment at any time. However, once your cancellation takes effect, you probably will not be able to enroll again as a retiree. You will not be entitled to a 31-day extension of coverage for conversion to a non-group (private) policy and neither you nor your family members will be entitled to temporarily continue coverage.

You will not be able to reenroll in FEHB except under the following circumstances:

  • You have been continuously covered as a family member under another enrollment in FEHB since the date of your cancellation, and you lose the coverage because the enrollment ends or the enrollee changes from self and family to self only; or

  • You suspended your FEHB coverage to enroll in a Medicare Advantage health plan under the Social Security Act or because you are eligible under Medicaid or a similar state-sponsored program of medical assistance for the needy.

For more information on how to suspend your FEHB enrollment, contact the OWCP district office that handles your case.

Time limitations and other restrictions apply. For instance, you must submit documentation that you are suspending FEHB to enroll in a Medicare Advantage health plan or furnish proof of eligibility for coverage under the Medicaid program or similar State-sponsored program of medical assistance for the needy, in case you wish to reenroll in the FEHB Program at a later time.

If you had suspended FEHB coverage for either one of these reasons (and had submitted the required documentation) but now want to enroll in the FEHB Program again, you may enroll during Open Season. You may reenroll outside Open Season only if you move out of the Medicare Advantage health plans service area, the Medicare Advantage health plan is discontinued, or you involuntarily lose coverage under the Medicaid program or similar State-sponsored program of medical assistance for the needy. If you cancelled your coverage for any other reason, you cannot reenroll.

Table of Contents