[NIFL-POVRACELIT:588] America: The Good Neighbor

From: Mary Ann Corley (macorley1@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 09:58:52 EDT

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mary Ann Corley" <macorley1@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:588] America: The Good Neighbor

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C13C32.4DFAD4C0

Jose Cruz from the San Diego Literacy Council shares with us the =
following article from a Canadian newspaper.   I believe that it was =
written during the Vietnam War, but it's still meaningful today, =
particularly in light of the current national tragedies.=20
=20
* * * * * * * * *
Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a =
remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a =
Canadian television commentator:=20

America: The Good Neighbor=20

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the =
most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the =
earth.=20

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted =
out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of =
dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is =
today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United =
States.=20

When France was in danger of collapsing in1956, it was the Americans who =
propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the =
streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.=20

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that =
hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened =
by tornadoes.  Nobody helped.=20

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into =
discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing =
about the decadent,warmongering Americans.=20

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the =
erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane.=20

Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing =
Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't =
they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly=20
American Planes?=20

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on =
the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You =
talk about German technocracy,and you get automobiles. You=20
talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon -  not =
once, but several times and safely home again.=20

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store =
window for everybody to look at.  Even their draft-dodgers are not =
pursued and hounded.  They are here on our streets, and most of them, =
unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars =
from ma and pa at home to spend here.=20

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down =
through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the =
Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned =
them an old caboose.  Both are still broke.=20

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other =
people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced =
to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even =
during the San Francisco earthquake.=20

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned =
tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this =
thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb =
their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I =
hope Canada is not one of those."=20

Stand proud, America!=20

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C13C32.4DFAD4C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff background=3D""><FONT size=3D2>Jose Cruz from =
the San Diego=20
Literacy Council shares with us the following article from a Canadian=20
newspaper.&nbsp;&nbsp; I believe that it was written during the Vietnam =
War, but=20
it's still meaningful today, particularly in light of the current =
national=20
tragedies. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>* * * * * * * * *<BR>Widespread but only =
partial news=20
coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from =
Toronto by=20
Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator: <BR><BR><BR><FONT=20
color=3D#0000ff><STRONG>America: The Good Neighbor</STRONG></FONT> =
<BR><BR>"This=20
Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most =
generous=20
and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth. =
<BR><BR>Germany,=20
Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the =
debris=20
of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave =
other=20
billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the =
interest on=20
its remaining debts to the United States. <BR><BR>When France was in =
danger of=20
collapsing in1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their =
reward was=20
to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw =
it.=20
<BR><BR>When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States =
that=20
hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened =
by=20
tornadoes.&nbsp; Nobody helped. <BR><BR>The Marshall Plan and the Truman =
Policy=20
pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in =
those=20
countries are writing about the decadent,warmongering Americans. =
<BR><BR>I'd=20
like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the =
erosion of the=20
United States dollar build its own airplane. <BR><BR>Does any other =
country in=20
the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed =
Tri-Star, or=20
the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the =
International=20
lines except Russia fly <BR>American Planes? <BR><BR>Why does no other =
land on=20
earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about =
Japanese=20
technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy,and =
you get=20
automobiles. You <BR>talk about American technocracy, and you find men =
on the=20
moon -&nbsp; not once, but several times and safely home again. =
<BR><BR>You talk=20
about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window =
for=20
everybody to look at.&nbsp; Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and =

hounded.&nbsp; They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless =
they are=20
breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at =
home to=20
spend here. <BR><BR>When the railways of France, Germany and India were =
breaking=20
down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the =
Pennsylvania=20
Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old=20
caboose.&nbsp; Both are still broke. <BR><BR>I can name you 5000 times =
when the=20
Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me =
even one=20
time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think =
there=20
was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake. <BR><BR>Our =
neighbors=20
have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing =
them=20
get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag =
high. And=20
when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that =
are=20
gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of =
those."=20
<BR><BR>Stand proud, America! </FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C13C32.4DFAD4C0--