[NIFL-POVRACELIT:540] RE: Washington Post Article on the NALS

From: Johnson, Alice (Alice.Johnson@ed.gov)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 17:02:29 EDT

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:02:29 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Johnson, Alice" <Alice.Johnson@ed.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:540] RE: Washington Post Article on the NALS

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1154C.F1AC1910

The following is forwarded at the request of Statistics Canada.

July 25, 2001

Letters to the Editor
The Washington Post
1150 15th Street Northwest
Washington, DC
20071

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am writing in reference to Jay Mathews article Adult Literacy, Rewritten
published in the July 16, 2001 edition of the Washington Post.

Specifically, I want to take exception with the statement that the results
of the original National Adult Literacy Survey were wrong.  The comments
attributed to Messrs. Kolstad and Sticht reveal a profound misunderstanding
of the aims of the study and leave the mistaken impression that the methods
employed to profile and report the literacy proficiency of American adults
were flawed.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The NALS study was not about illiteracy and the authors of Adult Literacy in
America went to great pains to avoid using the term.

The 80% response probability applied in the NALS study reflects the study's
desire to provide US employers and policy makers with an objective
assessment of what US citizens and workers can reliably read. Kolstad's
argument implies that American employers would be content with employees who
only understand half of what they read.

22 of the world's most economically advanced nations have paid the NALS
study the highest form of compliment by replicating the study, including
adopting the 80% response probability.

Data from these studies, published by the OECD in Literacy in the
Information Age: Final Report of the International Adult Literacy Survey,
reveal that reading skill plays an important role in advanced economies,
affording workers with higher skill better access to jobs and higher wages.
All the evidence suggests that the economic importance of reading will
increase as jobs become increasingly knowledge and information intense.

In many countries the study's results have precipitated quite dramatic
public investments in programs aimed at equipping citizens with the tools
needed to compete in the global economy.  It is ironic that the nation that
had the skill and foresight to field the NALS study in the first place
should be the one to benefit the least from the rich understanding of
literacy skill that these methods provide.

Yours sincerely,

T. Scott Murray
Director General
Institutions and Social Statistics