[NIFL-POVRACELIT:517] RE: Graduation Rates

From: Matthew Scelza (matthewscelza@caliteracy.org)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 12:05:34 EDT

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:05:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Matthew Scelza <matthewscelza@caliteracy.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:517] RE: Graduation Rates

Hello,

I'm replying to this posting:

**Gaining Ground
In 1998, the high school dropout rate was 8 percent for white students,
around 14 percent for African American students and 30 percent for Latino
students. The May/June 2001 issue of Gaining Ground, the newsletter of the
Council of Chief State School Officers, focuses on the academic status of
Latino students at the high school level, Latino students in higher
education, and effective practices for serving limited English proficient
students with disabilities.
http://publications.ccsso.org/ccsso/publication_detail.cfm?PID=335

Does anyone else find these statistics a perfect example of selective
sampling?  I find these numbers to be exceptionally low.  In Los Angeles,
where I am, a first year high school class of 1,000 often graduates less
than 500 four years later.  The kids who "disappear" aren't counted in
these dropout numbers.

Peace,
Matthew Scelza
Programs and Advocacy Director