[NIFL-POVRACELIT:411] Re: GDEMETRION: "GEORGE E. DEMETRION" <gdemetrion@juno....

From: DEBBYDAM@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 14:50:18 EST

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:50:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: DEBBYDAM@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:411] Re: GDEMETRION: "GEORGE E. DEMETRION" <gdemetrion@juno....

In order for organizations that serve or are in regular contact with adults
who need help with literacy to get involved, it seems there needs to be 1)
buy in from the top, so that individuals have "permission" to make this part
of their work; 2) a champion on the staff who believes in and is excited by
incorporating literacy into the organization's work and 3) a person who knows
how to get things done in the organization--how to take things from an idea
to making something new part of the work that gets done.  Sometimes all three
are the same person, sometimes three different folks.  More often than not,
you get the ear of one out of 3!  I think what is key to community based
literacy is figuring out how to make literacy not something extra or new, but
something that becomes integrated into the work and mission of the
organization.  If we do this, it seems less like school and more likely to
attract the adult learners (most of them!) who do not feel comfortable in
education programs.  But if we do this, if we make literacy part of health
care,  parenting activities, overcoming substance abuse, finding housing,
etc., we have to let go of school based notions about how, when, where and
why it happens.  We have to start thinking about how to become more
integrally connected to the lives of adults, and how to make opportunities
for literacy happen in more places more often.  This means we think of
literacy as part of lots of activities and places, and not bounded by an
entry into a program, a set number of hours devoted only to certain
activities thought of as instruction, and then a post-test.  And who will pay
us to figure this out?!  DD