[NIFL-POVRACELIT:551] Re: Vote On Adult Functional Illiteracy

From: gdemetrion (gdemetrion@msn.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 15:33:11 EDT

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "gdemetrion" <gdemetrion@msn.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:551] Re: Vote On Adult Functional Illiteracy

Again, thanks to Tom Sticht for raising these critical issues.  Perhaps some
researchers who are not directly involved with this issue will weigh in here
and provide some additional analysis.

As stated in a previous message I work out of the anthropological (some say)
ethnographic tradition.

Over the years, my collegagues and I in Hartford have collected a great deal
of commentary both from students and from tutors on the learning
experiences.

My colleague Steve Lindberg who houses the Literacytent at
http://literacytent.org/
is putting up the various documents that we have developed in Hartford.
Check them out to get an anthropological sense of what adult literacy
learning is about.  Of course, practitioners and students already know this.
Still, it's valuable to have a collection of such material readily
available.

But here's the main point.  Steve is ready, willing, and able to catalogue
similar such materials (and much else) for the field.  That would enable the
field to have a single, centralized qualitative data base that could be
drawn upon for a very wide array of purposes, including research and policy,
but also to stimulate instruction, training, and whatever else.

Perhaps there would be interest among the field to work with Steve in
developing and expanding this data base.  Sounds like an excellent (and
rare) opportunity to me, an opportunity to create a national treasure.

Steve can be directly contacted at steve@silicon-goblin.com

George Demetrion