[NIFL-POVRACELIT:601] Re: Fwd: [BRC] Terror Attacks of September

From: Brenda Sherring (b_sherring@mcs.msd.sk.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 13:44:12 EDT

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:44:12 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Brenda Sherring <b_sherring@mcs.msd.sk.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:601] Re: Fwd: [BRC] Terror Attacks of September

The following statement was delivered by Jay Cowsill, Society of Friends,
Saskatoon, at a Multi Faith Vigil held in Saskatoon, SK on Wednesday,
September 12, 2001.

Friends, these are terrible events that we have just witnessed.  Nothing
that we can now say or do will alter them.  Their history- though yet to be
written- is already beyond our power to change.  Let us focus ourselves,
then, on that history that can be changed, the history of the response to
these terrible events- a history not yet enacted that will unfold over the
next days and weeks.
Much of the talk yesterday-as people were still reeling under the first
shock of the enormity of these days- was talk of retribution, talk of
hunting down and punishing, talk of vengeance decked out in the language of
justice.  Such talk, I fear, will prevail at last- as if the evil of
violence could be eliminated by violence.
As we mourn the dead and fear the future, the deeds that we have just
witnessed should also give us pause for reflection.  It is altogether too
facile to say that the responsibility lies completely with a single party
that we can identify, isolate, vilify, and crucify.  I think that tonight
and in the days to come we should ask what it is in ourselves and in people
like us- in what we say and do- that can drive others to hate us so much,
that can drive them to such a pitch of fury.
We should, I think, amidst all the talk of freedom, consider what type of
freedom the World Trade Center and Pentagon might symbolize- not only to the
small group of people that attacked them, but to people everywhere made
desperate by the apparent hopelessness of their conditions.  What do the
World Trade Center and the Pentagon symbolize other than our freedom- the
freedom of people of wealth and privilege- to dominate the world by whatever
means we can grasp: cultural, commercial and military?
It makes no difference to victims of violence whether those raining death
down upon them are self-appointed, covert operatives or publicly elected
officials following meticulously detailed norms of procedure.  Nor should it
make a difference to us.  Terror is always terror, whoever the terrorists
might be.
The poor people in New York and Washington who have suffered and died from
these reprehensible acts now join their names to those of the poor people
who have suffered and died from other acts of terror other acts in what
Winston Churchill called "the lamentable catalogue of human crime."  They
join the names to those of the poor people of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Hanoi,
Baghdad- to all who suffered terror, injury and death from the skies.
What, we might ask, can we- the people of Saskatoon- do in the face of these
terrible events?  What contribution might we make?  There is nothing we can
do for the dead.  There is probably little we can do to avert the terrible
acts of retribution now being planned.  But there is much we can do to
change the familiar world of our everyday lives- to change the way we relate
to one another- the way we interact between and among ourselves.  We can
study to bear with one another better than we do.  We can study the arts of
compassion and forgiveness.  We can teach ourselves that there is no way to
peace: peace is the way.  We can learn that there is no way to non-violence:
non-violence is the way.