[NIFL-POVRACELIT:537] RE: Washington Post Article on the NALS

From: gdemetrion (gdemetrion@msn.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 12:21:36 EDT

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:21:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "gdemetrion" <gdemetrion@msn.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:537] RE: Washington Post Article on the NALS

Colleagues:

With Debbie and others, I look forward to NIFL's letter to the Washington
Post.  Along with that I believe close public analysis of the issues in the
Post article is warranted.  In the meantime, I would like to offer my
thoughts and encourage others to share their views, question, and concerns.

Many thanks to Tom Sticht for posting this article and for vigorously
pursuing the logic of his research to the conclusions he  reaches.  He
tackles the tough issue of calling them as he sees them and then holding the
policy and research communities to account. There is no equivocation in what
he says (Refer also to Tom's July 10th NLA posting). If sound pedagogy is
going to determine policy over assessment, then Tom has and continues to
make a substantial contribution to this effort.  If Tom's analysis is
accurate, will the policy community work with him and others to create an
assessment system that is intellectually sound?  Without that there can only
be chaos, and ultimately a form of insantity that will permeate the land of
literacy, if it hasn't already.  Does "realism" require us to embrace such
insanity that an assessment system *not* based on sound pedagogy logically
leads to?

The report to which Tom refers as well as his own analysis seems rather
technical and perhaps too arcane for practitioners to follow.  But there are
some critical points readily accessible in the Washington Post article which
may be worthy of our most careful scrutiny.  I highlight one sentence:

"Chapter 14, written by Andrew Kolstad, the original project director for
the NALS at NCES,  systematically undermines the entire test and questions
its construct validity, that is, the question of just what it is that the
test measures, its standards validity, that is,  the validity of the 80
percent probability standard that was used to assign people to the five
literacy levels, and the use validity, that is, the validity of the NALS for
accurately identifying adults at risk for poor literacy skills."

The key point in the Post article is that the 80% response rate was too high
a figure by which to base the problematic category of the NALS  "levels"
that assign the adult population to Levels 1-5 in their capacity to mediate
print in the areas of mastering prose, documents and quanitative information
(if I have that last NALS category right).  The extent to which the concept
of  "levels" (itself a metaphor) adequately depicts the ways in which
individuals process information is itself a problematic issue that we have
seen in various, largely unanswered critiques againt National Reporting
System levels.  Tom has written incisively on the notion that there are no
levels out there that can be used to adequately address the highly
contextual manner in which adults appropriate literacy for their own
purposes--a concept he applies both to NALS and the NRS.

Perhaps that's part of the issue as to why there is a wide disparity between
what the NALS experts identify as the 90 million adults with "at risk"
literacy skills and what adults themselves say, who don't, on those
proportions identify themselves as having a literacy "problem."  I think of
my brother, a high school drop out, who would probably rate in the NALS 2
level, at least based on the current 80% response rate that is used to
determine the levels.  He is quite competent (more so than I) in the arenas
out of which he chooses to live out his life.  I'm not sure he would
understand the terminology of "deficiency," though I think he would get the
jist and categorically reject any attribution of it to himself based on how
he might do on a test score.

Until the recent NLA message and the Post article, I thought the major
problem with NALS was mainly epistemological (that is, the positivistic
theoy of knowledge upon which I assume it is based).  I took for granted
that from a technical perspective that it was accurate based upon the
paradigmatic assumptions of its construction.  I work out of a different set
of paradigmatic assumptions, those grounded out of qualitative research  and
a pragmatic epistemological tradition, which assumes that knowledge is
constructed out of the process of living and in seeking to resolve problems
and issues that perplex/stimulate people.  Consequently, I place a lot of
credence on a critical exploration of rich narrative descriptions to explore
the development or "growth" of such learning.  In short, my research
paradigm may be defined as anthropological, experiencial, and
process-oriented.

Though now, based on the Post article, one begins to wonder about the
validity of the NALS study stemming from the empirical research tradition
upon which it seems to have been based.  While I am clearly in no position
to adequately assess the technical issues raised in the Post article, if in
fact, the 80% response rate was too high to base the (some would say,
problematical) concept of literacy levels, and that the 50% figure would
have provided the more accurate figure, the simple and logical question
would be, why wasn't the 50% figure used in the first place?  Perhaps we
could have some responses to that.  Perhaps why that lower figure wan't
selected is a telling matter in itself.  This may seem like a highly
technical question, and in no small measure, it is.  Yet as Tom puts it, it
has profound implications for the field, since the NALS figures have been
used authoritatively throughout the field and practitioners have taken their
accuracy on faith in making their cases to various publics upon it.

As put at the end of the Post article:

"This new technical report by  NCES calls into question the entire validity
and hence the meaning of the NALS (and other tests and studies based on the
NALS methodology, such as the International Adult Literacy Survey).  That
this major assessment can throw little light on how many adults are at risk
for their literacy skills should command a major
dialogue and investigation into national adult literacy assessments. This
dialogue should happen before another 10 to 15 million dollars are spent in
a follow-up survey that may be equally invalid and lead to further
defamatory practices by reporters or government officials here and abroad."

I would suggest that this is no small matter.  My thanks to Tom, for his
willingness to raise these issues in a very visible manner.  The viability
of democracy demands no less.

What do others think?

George Demetrion
Gdemetrion@msn.com