[NIFL-POVRACELIT:449] Re: Students Fare Better With Minority Teachers

From: Catherine King (cb.king@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 17:43:41 EST

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:43:41 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Catherine King" <cb.king@verizon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:449] Re: Students Fare Better With Minority Teachers

To Crystal, who asked:

"I'd like to know if the researchers in this study could
identify what, specifically, the "minority" instructors did
that enhanced the learning of their students.  (Minority
is in quotes here because we need to be specific about
who we are talking about.  It's not enough to classify
people who are not white as minorities, because, heck,
we are not the minority in this country anymore.  Please
be specific.)  Were the instructors in this study largely
African American, Asian, and Latino?"

Briefly, it isn't what the "minority" instructors did, but rather
**from the point of view of the student,** what spontaneous
"identity matches" could they make from whatever
self-interpretive identity matrixes they bring to the
classroom?  If this is true, it doesn't matter what race,
class, gender, color, etc., a teacher is.  What matters
is spontaneous identity and how that is worked out in
groups and individuals.

For the young (undifferentiated) student these identity
matches are not reflective, or even conscious, but rather
are **spontaneous** and may be triggered by merely
seeing a similar skin color, etc., or hearing a similar
familiar dialectic, and may be a mixture of these and
gender identity, or familiar clothing style, etc.     In all
children, spontaneous identity matches forge the way
for initial comfort **in the child**, and therefore, when
present,  make all learning easier for them.   When
comfortable on the social-identity level first, the learning
level becomes an "in-the-loop" exercise for them, full
of trust, hope, and a spontaneous desire to be involved.

Many things can interfere with this spontaneous identity-
match situation, including the specific psychology of the
child, for instance, whose identity orders of thought are
clouded with bad feelings and negatives where, though
there is a spontaneous identity, that identity is fraught
with tension, or if the child has had another experience
where, for instance, a Black child has already had an
extraordinarily positive experience with a White person.
In this case, a White teacher may be a quite comfortable
correspondent, whereas in another situation, an "other"
fear may be the "first-ground" to emerge in the learning
situation making it more difficult for the child to learn.

Prior individual and exceptional experience will, of
course, feed into class situations.   This is human, and
not related to any history, race, gender, etc.  And it
is human, and not natural science--where human
consciousness, history, context, story and anecdote are
essential and authentic sources of data which explain,
if not predict, the variable and malleable outcomes of
studies.

This point  does not mean, of course, that only Black,
Latino, White, etc., teachers can teach "matched"
students.  It only means that identity-matches do make
a difference, especially with young students who have
no or little reflective powers.

But from what I can tell from my own studies of
consciousness, and when administrations suspect there
may be an identity-mis-match situation for an entire
classroom, it may be a good method to have a "same-identity"
teacher introduce the "other-relational" teacher to the group,
creating a "comfort bridge" and paving the way for the social
trust to be transferred from the same-identity teacher to the
"other-relational" teacher.

If I am right on the effectiveness of this method, this could
be done by a different-identity teacher who is already
familiar with the group--fundamentally, someone the students
already trust, regardless of color, race, gender, etc.  What is
important is familiarity and trust of the person by the student
in particular situations.

As far as adults are concerned,  it would seem what matters
**for some,** especially for those who are initially afraid, or who
have severe "self-regard" problems--like battered women, etc.,
is the comfort of identity that will often, if not always, spontaneously
create an openness in a teacher-learner situation that cannot be
there in a spontaneous "different-other" situation.

So, though the method or the content of the teaching is not the
important first-point in multi-cultural situations, but rather the personal
spontaneous identity that is extant in the classroom when the
student first meets the teacher, whatever color, ethnicity, gender,
etc., either may be is what counts, notwithstanding individual
circumstances which may vary the student's sense of identity-
comfort.

All in all, teaching is a mysterious thing.

Best to all,
Catherine King