[NIFL-POVRACELIT:386] More on the construct of race--x-posted from the womenlit list

From: Mary Ann Corley (macorley1@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 23:16:52 EST

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:16:52 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mary Ann Corley" <macorley1@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:386] More on the construct of race--x-posted from the womenlit list

Again, as promised, at the end of the day, I am collapsing into one message
the dialogue that has been taking place on the nifl-womenlit listserv on the
subject of 'race.'  Daphne Greenberg ended the day's exchange with the
following question:

I wonder how this gets further complicated when we look at how race and
gender intersect, and then what implications this all has for the literacy
classroom?

Let's hear from some of you-what are your thoughts on the subject?  Feel
free to join the discussion.

-Mary Ann Corley
Director, National Center for
 Literacy and Social Justice
macorley1@earthlink.net

Daphne Greenberg wrote:

. . . I definitely associate more with my ethnicity than I do with my skin
color.  However, I also know that people first see my skin color before they
know my ethnicity.  By seeing my color, they make immediate unconscious and
conscious decisions and judgments about me.  Therefore, I think that frank
discussions on race, at least in our society, is critical and essential.
Perhaps one day we can move beyond race, but before we do so, I think that
we first have to label it and fully discuss what race means in our culture.

------------------------------------
Andrea Wilder wrote:

I am with you as long as we put "race" in parentheses.  There is no white
"race."  There is white skin color.  Table the word "race" and make it clear
that you are tabling it when it comes up.

Or, you could discuss "race" as a code word that stands for the relations
between people with black skin and those with white skin in this culture,
the slaves and lower caste people and the owners or higher caste people.
That's really what it stands for.  That's how the Irish and the Jews became
white--got more money, moved out of a lower caste.

The only way we can get rid of "race" is when people with black skin get
more money.

--------------------------------------
Daphne Greenberg responded:

It has got to be more complicated than obtaining money.  Unless, it is a
critical mass that needs to earn money in order for their group to become
"White".  Also, Jews who are Black are not considered "White."

-----------------------------------
Andrea Wilder wrote:

Black Jews in my minyan are considered white by fellow Jews.  Yes, I think
it is a critical mass that needs to have money.  Money = power. . .

-----------------------------------
Sue Taylor wrote:

What seems to be happening here is that white has become the composite
political term for 'other', that is, other than black.  For a long time
'black' has been taken to mean any one who is not white, irrespective of
ethnic group, religion and so on and your discussion indicates the same
thing is happening to 'white'.  This kind of reasoning does not appear to
have hit the UK yet, but I am sure it will in due course.

I do have some problems with the assumption that individuals who have money
are no longer victims of oppression. And again I do not believe that
everyone who is black or poor (white poor or black poor) is oppressed. Poor
people can oppress other poor people and so on.  This discussion is about
how we read someone's identity.

To add a controversial note: the recent murder of a young black African boy
Damiola Taylor exposed a rift between different black communities in the UK.
To some people it came as quite a surprise that there wasn't this homogenous
black grouping.  In fact it is no more possible to have a reductionist
categorization  of black than it is of white.

Andrea Wilder responded:

. . . There are a lot of variables that we didn't control for in the
discussion, and if it became reductionist, it was, to perhaps the most
salient fracture in our society. I worked once for a Jewish Cuban principal
who called me "white."  I am, he is also, so there is sociology at work.

For me, as a white person, to step over a line and look at differences
within the black community, in public, is almost forbidden at this time,
though of course I am aware of them.  I can only ask questions.  It is a
most difficult subject and one that requires great respect.