[NIFL-POVRACELIT:381] Re: Popular Educational Models

From: Ira Yankwitt (iray@lacnyc.org)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 11:25:38 EST

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:25:38 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ira Yankwitt <iray@lacnyc.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:381] Re: Popular Educational Models

Deborah,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.  Insomuch as popular education is
education that is "of the people," I think that it can take different forms
in different social and historical contexts.  I agree that self-definition
is an important starting point.

I've already heard from Andres and I'll pass on Mujeres Unidas to the group
that's looking for examples.  I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Ira

At 01:47 PM 1/29/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Ira,
>
>Although there are many ways to argue what is and isn't popular education.
I think one of first
>criteria is whether or not a program (coodinators, teachers, students,
funders?) identifies itself a
>popular education, and then tries to create classroom and program
structures that facilitate
>learning based on popular education ideas.
>
>I know the Community Education Program(CEP) of El Paso Community College,
dir. Andres Muro,
>calls itself a Popular Education Program. Also there's a CBO here in
Boston called Mujeres
>Unidas-- that atleast used to talk about incorporating popular education
practice into their
>programming.  And although calling yourself something is not the only
criteria for being that- it's
>atleast it's a first step.
>
>So, Andres, are you out there? You usually are. Maybe you want to share
your program info and give
>Ira and others as well as share some contact information.
>
>Deborah Schwartz
>National Homebuying Readiness T.A. Project
>Adult Literacy Resource Institute
>Boston, MA

Ira Yankwitt
Coordinator of Adult Literacy Services