[NIFL-POVRACELIT:361] Searching for national models

From: GEORGE E. DEMETRION (gdemetrion@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 20:18:09 EST

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:18:09 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "GEORGE E. DEMETRION" <gdemetrion@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:361] Searching for national models

Hello Colleagues:

I wanted to share with you some information about a program concept we =
have been implementing in Hartford, CT and also to seek input on how we =
can strengthen and/or refine the model.  First, an overview of Literacy =
Volunteers of Greater Hartford's (LVGH) Community Literacy Initiative:

Overview of Literacy Volunteers of Greater Hartford's Community Literacy
Initiative

Beginning on July 1, 2000, through the support of a three-year grant from
the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, Literacy Volunteers of Greater
Hartford (LVGH) has established the Community Literacy Initiative (CLI)
to develop partnerships with ten city agencies over a two-year period.
According to the National Adult Literacy Survey (NALS), 41% of the adult
population in Hartford functions at the lowest levels of literacy. This
represents an enormous challenge to the ABE and adult literacy community
in the city. Building institutional and
organizational capacity to more effectively serve this population is one
of the most important tasks facing provider agencies. The CLI is a
response to this challenge. The goal of the CLI is to enhance
community-based tutoring in ESOL and Basic Literacy throughout Hartford
by creating custom-tailored programs responsive to the needs and unique
opportunities available at each of the sites. A true partnership emerges
between LVGH and the participating agencies, as both parties bring vital
resources to the relationship. As a result, the network of collaborating
agencies in taking on the vital work of providing adult basic education
is both expanded and strengthened through the CLI.

In the collaboration between LVGH and the community-based agencies:

LVGH provides:

  a.. Custom-designed tutor training (pre-service and in-service
support).
  b.. Guidance with curriculum development and materials selection.
  c.. On-going site supervision.
  d.. Program management consultation.
  e.. Assistance with student assessment.
  f.. Annual program review and evaluation

The participating agency:

  a.. Recruits students either directly from the agency or from the
surrounding neighborhood.
  b.. Recruits tutors or teachers from agency staff, clients or
supportive volunteers.
  c.. Provides on-site space for small group tutoring.
  d. Maintains an on-going relationship with LVGH through an
institutional agreement to sustain the relationship beyond specific staff
changes at the program level.

The values of the CLI both to the community and to LVGH are many:

  a.. Programming becomes increasingly accessible to students in highly
supportive learning environments.
  b.. The project expands the city's capacity to serve more adults at the
lowest literacy level.
  c.. The project expands the pool of organizations committed to adult
literacy, thereby strengthening the cause of literacy in Hartford.
  d.. The project strengthens volunteerism in the community.

The Community Literacy Initiative is a capacity-building project designed
to meet the basic learning needs of adults within and through diverse
communities in Hartford through a powerful network of collaborative
partnerships.

In Hartford we are working largely, though not exclusively with
volunteers.  One of the major goals of the Community Literacy Initiative
is institutional capacity building where we identify agencies that have
an intrinsic interest in integrating adult literacy or ESOL instruction
within their organizations.  A related objective is to establish sites in
neighborhood and community centers throughout Hartford that are more
accessible to residents than our single centralized center which serves
about 125 students on a regular basis and to shift the ownership of the
instructional program from the single provider (us) to the participating
agency.

On the model of the Community Literacy Initiative, the sites provide
students, tutors, space for group instruction, support to the students
either in case management, referrals, day care, counseling, or in other
related areas.  The sites also provide a staff liaison from the agency to
coordinate the program with our staff.  Beyond that we ask for an
institutional letter of support from the agency so that the relationship
is not based simply on program staff to program staff relationships, but
institution to institution.

We, in turn, provide tutor training and ongoing in-service support,
oversight in curriculum design and materials development and acquisition,
support with student assessment and annual program evaluation, along with
continuous consultation.

We're working with family resource centers, senior citizen centers, and
other social service agencies.  We are also cultivating a relationship
with the city's Public Library to develop a program in one of
theirbranches, and also in one of the city's major health clinics.

In this first year we're experiencing some qualified successes, but still
feel quite a distance from the goals of the project where the sites
become autonomous literacy/ESOL centers incorporated into *their*
agency's mission, vision, and organizational culture.  In fact, many of
the sites, though formally acknowledging the model, still seem to be
waiting for our program to provide the impetus for their own program
expansion, or so it seems to me.  That is, for the most, the agencies
we're working with still have not made the psychological and
organizational commitment to the program in a manner that would reflect
their ownership of the program, even though sites have come to us asking
for programming rather than us seeking to recruit them.  Though this is a
matter of degree rather than an either/or phenomenon. Let's say things
are "in process," though a distance to go before any critical mass
reflective of the project's visoion is attained.

I think, in part, what may be playing out within the psychology of the
agencies is the prevelance of the more traditional provider-client
relationship where the literacy agency is responsible for all the key
aspects of the program, even though at least the new agencies where we've
started programs this year, have *formally* accepted the equal partner
relationship between the literacy and the participating agency.

The fact that we're building this model largely on a volunteer tutor
model is, perhaps, one of the formidable challenges.  However, we believe
that the model we've created is essential for any institutional capacity
building in a city like Hartford where requests for services will always
outstrip capacity and in providing services in neighborhoods and in
settings more readily easily accessible to students who reside in
proximity to these agencies.

I would appeciate any reflections or questions about this model that
anyone may have and particularly any suggestions as to how we might
better grapple with the ownership issue.

Also, perhaps others have worked with similar models. If so, you're
insights would be greatly appreciated.

Since this issue is germane to the focus of this list, public discussion
may be best, though some may prefer to express certain comments
privately.  Either way.

For those who are seeking to develop similar programs or have them
underway, I would be more than happy to be a dialogue partner.

The list may also be interested in instructional materials we have
compiled or created on a wide array of topics related to the life
application focus of the project.  These can be downloaded at

http://www.crec.org/atdn/teacher_resources/lvalifeapp.shtml

Thanks for your interest.

George Demetrion
Literacy Volunteers of Greater Hartford