[NIFL-POVRACELIT:394] Re: Re Searching for UNational (Urban) Models

From: DEBBYDAM@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 11:56:40 EST

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:56:40 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: DEBBYDAM@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-povracelit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-POVRACELIT:394] Re: Re Searching for UNational (Urban) Models

I don't know if George and others have seen an artilce written in the 1980s
by Steve Reder and others regarding "Giving literacy Away."  It is a vision
for community based literacy that draws on using adult learner networks and
helpers, as described by Fingeret and others,  as literacy tutors or peer
teachers.  The issue with moving literacy out of the adult education
classroom or tutoring environment seems to be providing enough materials,
training, and support to individuals or non-literacy organizations so that
they can take this on,. with help from literacy practitioners.  The question
is, as George has stated, how much help, when, and from whom, and how can we
help such organizations get to the place where they own what they are doing?
Again, this is something ALMA is wrestling with.  We have found that working
intensively with organizations (though we can only do this with a small
number) on an issue that is critical for them, and working our materials,
training and technical assistance into the solution of that project is
helping us understand what it takes to move literacy into new places.  We are
currently working with about 12 of our hubs in this way, and hope to learn
from them strategies and approaches that will help us elsewhere.  For
example, we are working with training programs that did not have any literacy
component to integrate TV411 materials into their existing work; we are
providing intensive training and technical assistance to a small cbo program
that uses community volunteers on portfolio assessment; we are working with
an adolescent Frierian literacy program on helping participants create their
own videos; we are working with health educators on creating materials for
community outreach and education that build literacy learning into their
work.  All of this places us more in the arena of informal learning, situated
learning as Wenger and Lave call it, apprenticeships, etc.  If literacy is to
reach more adults with greater authentic power, we believe this is the
direction we need to understand and move in.  DD