[NIFL-FAMILY:3217] Re: Information

From: Colleen Woolery (cwoolery@oltn.odl.state.ok.us)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 15:09:11 EDT

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:09:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Colleen Woolery <cwoolery@oltn.odl.state.ok.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3217] Re: Information

I work at the Literacy Resource office in Oklahoma and we worked with a women's
correctional center.  We partnered with the correctional center to do a 6 week
Family Literacy program.  At this center we worked with the mom's who had
children enrolled in camp.  Camp is where the children can come visit their mom
every tuesday.  We would go to the prison twice a week, on thursday we would work
with the mom's practice different reading techniques with the book for the
following week.  We gave the parent the book to practice reading and a book plate
to write their child's name on.  On the day the children came to visit, we
brought in guest readers  and extended the book with a craft.  The children
recieved one book each week to take home and keep.  The program not only helped
the parents with their reading, it helped the bond between the two.

Colleen Woolery
Literacy Resource Office
cwoolery@oltn.state.ok.us