[NIFL-FAMILY:3150] Re: Children's nutrition

From: DrKSelby@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 20:52:26 EDT

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:52:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: DrKSelby@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3150] Re: Children's nutrition

This is a timely subject for me as a parent who is trying to get herself and
her child refocused on healthy living.  I think that if I were in your class
I would really appreciate your approaching this issue as a simple economic
process.  Compare the cost of different kinds of food choices in terms of
money, time spent, and health outcomes.  If your students live in the United
States, watch any television, and buy from American grocery stores,
everything that you are tempted to preach they already know.  So, get them
thinking about the issue from another angle.  Get them thinking about the
impact of their choices in terms of what the opportunity costs/benefits and
tradeoffs are.  For example, while the pop may seem like a right choice sweet
and delicious, it is also increasing tooth decay and chances of contracting
diabetes.  Pop also strikes people as a quick pick me up, but with a little
planning fresh fruit and water can become their child's favorite midday
snack.  The other thing is that if you are dealing with a fairly poor
population, nothing changes peoples perspective like authentic examples and
samples.  Bring in different food choices for snacks that illustrate the
healthy lifestyle you are trying to promote and see if you can get a local
grocery store to give you enough of the samples that students can take some
home (my mother who is a teacher can always get her local green grocery to
donate large boxes of fruit to her school so it does happen).

Dr. Karen Selby, Chair
Department of Education
Kalamazoo College
1200 Academy