[NIFL-FAMILY:3279] Re: more tips about NIFL-sponsored lists

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylrain@teleport.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 15:05:07 EST

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:05:07 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylrain@teleport.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3279] Re: more tips about NIFL-sponsored lists

At 09:10 AM 10/23/2000 -0400, Jane Meyer wrote:

>The best tips I have for starting a family literacy program are:
>
>1)  Build it on existing community resources.  <SNIP>
>
>2)  Integrate the components.  <SNIP>

Good advice, but it leaves out the "how". I've always understood the theory
of building a good family literacy program, and for teaching adult ESL
(which is my job), for that matter, but the practical matter of how to do it
on a day to day basis has eluded me, especially at the beginning.

Integration in particular is something I feel we're beginning to do better
in our eighth-year program, but still struggle with on some levels. Really
the other one also, connecting with other community resources, is something
we've done partially, but are obviously scrambling to do more now, since the
grant is running out rapidly. We're having some success, I believe, but it
would have been nice to get further along with it earlier. Maybe it's not
possible without that sense of urgency.

I think when you're first starting out with a family literacy program there
are so many nitty-gritty logistical details to take care of (transportation?
childcare? curriculum? space? staff? food? recruitment/enrollment?
attendance policies? etc., etc., on and on) that it's very difficult to see
the big picture and address it adequately, or even if you do, it seems
almost irrelevant to day-to-day needs.

I think I agree with another poster who suggested that it takes the vision
of one woman to make it happen, but I would add that the skills of the
person who brings it into being aren't always the same as the skills needed
to make it function and grow and become a good program. For that, you need
the attention to details that the visionary doesn't always address.

We need both, of course. But so often questions like this get addressed at
the theoretical, visionary level, and leave out the detail, logistical stuff
that most beginning programs are struggling with. Those are the things that
are the hardest to get off the ground and maintain once they get rolling.

Sylvan Rainwater . Portland, Oregon, USA . sylrain@teleport.com