[NIFL-FAMILY:3130] Re: Family Literacy Programs: Getting Started

From: ChloeMizoo@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 01:57:52 EDT

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 01:57:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: ChloeMizoo@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3130] Re: Family Literacy Programs:  Getting Started

Rosalind,

Family literacy, as defined by the federal government is:

FAMILY LITERACY SERVICES - The term `family literacy services' means services
provided to participants on a voluntary basis that are of sufficient
intensity in terms of hours, and of sufficient duration, to make sustainable
changes in a family, and that integrate all of the following activities:

(A) Interactive literacy activities between parents and their children.

(B) Training for parents regarding how to be the primary teacher for their
children and full partners in the education of their children.

(C) Parent literacy training that leads to economic self-sufficiency.

(D) An age-appropriate education to prepare children for success in school
and life experiences.

Someone else will have to answer your funding questions. Hope this helps.

Chloe Fessler
Montana Family Literacy Initiative

In a message dated 08/30/2000 8:46:07 PM Mountain Daylight Time,