[NIFL-FAMILY:2891] Re: CASAS usage

From: Jane Curtis (jcurtis@svn.net)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 14:01:54 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: jcurtis@svn.net (Jane Curtis)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2891] Re: CASAS usage

Lori
We are a library-based adult literacy program in the San Francisco Bay Area
in California. We have been using the CASAS reading assessment for initial
intake and 6-month follow-up. We don't use the official appraisal because
it's too hard and it's *another* test.

During our initial interview, the student talks with our coordinator and is
asked to do a little writing. Based on these interactions, the coordinator
determines which level CASAS is appropriate. She's right-on 95% of the time
because the learners score within the accurate range. Some learners take
the pre-literacy level PA27 and 28. There is, however, quite a jump between
this and the level A31, as there is in most series. But since the CASAS
scaled score is supposedly transferrable from one assessment level to the
next, we can accurately predict the appropriate post level even if the
learner tested out on the intial one.

Hope this helps.
Jane Curtis
Marin Literacy Program