[NIFL-FAMILY:2888] Re: CASAS usage

From: BRmidwest@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 12:09:12 EDT

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:09:12 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: BRmidwest@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2888] Re: CASAS usage

Our center offers literacy and GED classes for adults who are native speakers
of English (not ESL).  We have used the SORT (Slosson Oral Reading Test). It
has the advantage of being quick and easy to administer, and we believe it
gives an extremely rough estimate of someone's reading level. It is a word
RECOGNITION test, consisting of about 12 lists of unrelated words, beginning
with simple one-and two-syllable words like "see" and "puppy" and advancing
to more difficult, obscure  words like "facsimile" and "dungeon." It does not
test reading comprehension.  If someone can't get through the first list, you
know that person probably needs to begin at the beginning. (The score
computes to below 1.0.) If someone reads nearly every word perfectly, you
suspect he or she may be too advanced for your program--or at least is ready
for the highest level you offer. (The score computes to 12--or above? I can't
remember if it goes to 12.9.) Between the two extremes, it does not seem to
be terribly accurate in discriminating reading level, at least as compared to
the TABE.  In order to accurately and validly determine which level of the
TABE to administer, you need to use the TABE locater test.
Betsy Rubin
Blue Gargoyle Adult and Family Learning Programs
Chicago