[NIFL-FAMILY:2750] RE: Family Literacy Policy Update

From: Jenny Ransone (Adu. Learning Cen) (jransone@infodepo.jcpl.lib.in.us)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 11:19:44 EST

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:19:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jenny Ransone (Adu. Learning Cen)" <jransone@infodepo.jcpl.lib.in.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2750] RE: Family Literacy Policy Update

Karen,

Thanks for the great comments!  I am program coordinator for a library
literacy program.  I met with my library director yesterday to discuss
this very issue.  Funding for my library based, volunteer, basic literacy,
one on one tutoring program has all but dried up.

If I went on, I'd probably repeat everything you already said.  I'm very
concerned about the future of this program if I must chase grant money
with "new projects" every year.  We traditionally serve the most
difficult to serve.  Those who are unable to thrive in the local ABE
program (which serves individuals with a sixth grade or higher TABE
score), or who need more support than can be received in a classroom setting.

I'd love to hear from others in similar situations.

Jenny Ransone
Adult Learning Center
Franklin,  IN