[NIFL-FAMILY:2749] RE: Family Literacy Policy Update

From: Jones, Karen (jonesk@sosmail.state.mo.us)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 09:22:57 EST

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:22:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jones, Karen" <jonesk@sosmail.state.mo.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2749] RE: Family Literacy Policy Update

Is there any voice being raised to create alternative funding sources or
streams for low-literate people where current funding cannot be used because
of the structure and requirements of the funding? We all view things from
the trenches in which we have worked: I work with library literacy programs
and have taught in prisons and various community literacy classes. I don't
think these concerns are at all unique to me.

There seem to be several categories of people who will be excluded from
services in just a few years under the current funding formulas and
arrangements:
 1) people who cannot reasonably get a GED or reach full literacy and need
ongoing, life-long literacy support. (This probably includes a lot of folks
who should be protected by ADA.)
 2) adults who cannot progress upward at a steady pace but who would benefit
from literacy classes that move them outward to a greater variety of
literacy tasks and competencies at the level they can achieve
 3) those whose time ran out and they were pulled from literacy/education
programs and put in dead end jobs whether or not they were achieving
(preempting these people's education does not benefit any of us)
 4) anyone in a geographic area with shrinking population or where there
isn't enough population to sustain the numbers required for an educational
program funded under WIA or related acts.

Libraries, faith-based organizations, civic organizations, and other local
literacy organizations would often be willing to serve these people if some
funding with different strings attached were available. Accepting some
alternative assessments and goals might help, as might different attendance
demands for those employed and those not employed. And the people who need
lifelong literacy/numeracy support are apparently without any help under new
funding. As much as we wish this weren't so, these people exist and even if
we cannot serve them out of compassion we can realize that it is better for
all of us if they have the support they need. Preempting problems is better
and nearly always cheaper than fixing the consequences.(Personally, I cannot
escape the sense that the people who constructed WIA had never met very many
real adults with literacy needs.)

Another group that seem to be disenfranchised are organizations that do not
have the size and staff to meet the full criteria of the requirements and
state plans being developed even though they may be effectively offering
literacy services. Many of these small organizations could help fill the
cracks and provide services in areas of low population where there aren't
services otherwise if only a little financial help were offered. Some of the
"hardest to serve" adults and children might be effectively reached by small
alternative programs.

There also seems to be a large lack of funds for programs, activities, and
efforts that support other local literacy programs but are not full scale
literacy programs in themselves. (Libraries fall into this category so I am
particularly aware of there efforts.) Collaboration is supposedly
encouraged, but not supported financially.