[NIFL-FAMILY:3084] Re: FW: NLA Discussion: Literacy and Bush

From: Laura Bercovitz (lbercovitz@irc-desplaines.org)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 13:57:04 EDT

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:57:04 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Laura Bercovitz" <lbercovitz@irc-desplaines.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3084] Re: FW: NLA Discussion: Literacy and Bush

I agree with Laura Bush on the importance of reading to children -- some
reference to   how difficult or impossible this "natural, entertaining
activity" is for millions of adults should have been mentioned.  Many people
can't conceive that there are parents who are not prepared to assume a
supportive role in helping their children to read.

 It seems as if a marketing moment for family literacy was missed because
adult learners' needs was never brought in as an essential element to
consider when developing programs that are interested in children's
learning.

Laura Bercovitz