[NIFL-FAMILY:3075] excerpts and cross-posts from nifl-womenlit

From: Nancy Sledd (nsledd@famlit.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 17:56:08 EDT

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:56:08 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Nancy Sledd" <nsledd@famlit.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3075] excerpts and cross-posts from nifl-womenlit

The other day, I posted some excerpts from the Thursday Notes from Ron
Pugsley's office (reposted below.)  Well, on the nifl-womenlit list, a small
discussion has begun.  I have taken those postings and put them below since
they apply to family literacy.  After you read these, is there anything you
would like to add?  Feel free to respond on this list as well.  Nancy Sledd,
nifl-family list moderator

Here is the posting from the Thursday Notes:
Attentive Moms May Promote High Intelligence Offspring

Here's a boost for family literacy programs: how parents treat children may
influence which of their offspring's genes turn on, according to a new study
by McGill University scientists. Researchers found that gene activity is
influenced by the environment--and the most important feature of that
environment is the mother's parenting. In a series of experiments, rat pups
whose mothers were highly attentive grew up to be less stressed and scored
higher in intelligence and memory tests than pups whose mothers did not give
them much tactile attention. The smarter rats scored high on tests
throughout their lives. Scientists found extra connections between nerve
cells in tissue samples as well as more growth hormones and
neurotransmitters critical to learning in the actively nurtured offspring.
According to researchers, the study provides evidence of a direct
relationship between maternal care and brain development, including spatial
learning in adulthood. Teaching good parenting techniques in family literacy
programs promotes active parenting.
See the study reported in August issue of Nature Neuroscience or March 27
Newsweek.

Here are some responses from womenlit subscribers:

1.  Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:11:53 -0700
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylrain@teleport.com>
HOWEVER, what got to me about this excerpt was the assumption that it had to
be the mother, and the jump to family literacy.  Also, what does good
parenting mean-who defines it?  I just cringe with the hidden assumption
that parents who enroll in family literacy programs automatically need
parenting skills.  Admittedly, many do, but then again, many upper middle
class parents also need parenting skills!

Hear, hear! Most of the parents in our program (Hispanic immigrants) could
teach most American parents a few things about parenting. We try to support
them in dealing with the immigrant experience, maintaining what is good from
their culture while dealing with US cultural expectations, as well as giving
them the benefit of the latest thinking about the importance of nurturing,
stimulation, attention, etc. -- I kind of think that's what's meant here by
"good parenting."

In our case, the parents we are dealing with are mothers. But many fathers
are also actively involved with their children, and in addition, they
cross-parent with friends and extended family members. Certainly teachers in
our program are also important in the development of the children -- but we
consider ourselves to be addressing the whole family, or at the very least
the parent-child relationship, when we work towards child development. It
also seems to be true that the more intellectual stimulation the mother
gets, the more the child gets.

2.  Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:03:35 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: Sondra Cuban <sondra_cuban@gse.harvard.edu>
To: nifl-womenlit@nifl.gov
Daphne, I hope it is OK that I add my personal opinion to the
conversation. I think attentive people who are caring and take
active roles, are critical for child development including mothers,
fathers, grandparents or primary caregivers (ones who children
identify)--all of those people in children's environments. Even
teachers. Family literacy programs that promote intergenerational
approaches not just for parenting techniques, but for active
learning, are important because they validate diverse family
structures and cultures whether or not the mother is central to this
dynamic and they advocate outcomes for everyone who is involved.
About abstracting rat families to human families, well, I think there
is something to be said for that beyond a couple of variables.
Thanks! Sondra

3.  Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 02:45:32 GMT
From: "Dana Cooper" <d7cooper@hotmail.com>
To: nifl-womenlit@nifl.gov
I wonder if mother rat-baby rat relationships can be linked (related? tied?)
to human mother-human baby relationships.  I mean, putting aside political
correctness, does a human child require a specifically female primary
caretaker or just an attentive caretaker?  Male rats probably do not tend to
their offspring, but some male humans do.  Must the attentive human parent
be the mother?

Before presenting such a theory as a model for human relationships, I would
see if that theory held any merit among human relationships.
Also, I would find it hard to gauge how much attentiveness is positive and
how much becomes smothering.  That is another problem comparing rat life to
human life.
Dana Cooper
ESL Teacher-Volunteer
Philadelphia, PA   USA

4.  Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:23:45 -0400
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <ALCDGG@langate.gsu.edu>
To: <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Dana and Sondra,
I agree with both of you.  I was actually a bit surprised to see this
excerpt in Thursday's notes.  It is a long known fact that good touch in
infancy is critical for human development.  There were infamous experiments
with monkeys to show this, and there were case studies of abandoned babies
in the old types of orphanages to show what happens to humans who are not
touched and loved as babies.  HOWEVER, what got to me about this excerpt was
the assumption that it had to be the mother, and the jump to family
literacy.  Also, what does good parenting mean-who defines it?  I just
cringe with the hidden assumption that parents who enroll in family literacy
programs automatically need parenting skills.  Admittedly, many do, but then
again, many upper middle class parents also need parenting skills!
Daphne Greenberg
Center for the Study of Adult Literacy