[NIFL-FAMILY:2978] Literacy Programs for Juevenile Offenders

From: rcwright@TheWrightChoice.com
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 13:04:32 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: rcwright@TheWrightChoice.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2978] Literacy Programs for Juevenile Offenders

Hi everyone!  My name is Robin Wright and I've been receiving your e-mails
for several months, but have not yet participated in any of the
conversations.  Now, I need help though.

I work with a couple of literacy programs in the Central Ohio Area and am
about to pilot a new program working with young boys between the ages of 12 -
16 who are convicted offenders.

We would like to create a program which focuses on literacy and provides
opportunity to build computer skills.  I have already done a lot of research
into computer literacy and how computers can enhance learning opportunities.
I found some surprising info both for an against the use of computers.  But,
I wanted opinions from all of you who are doing this everyday.  Here's my
questions:

1) I know some of you are using computers? What are you doing? How
successful are they? and, What are some good software choices for this
group?

2) Are any of you working on computer literacy programs?  What do they look
like?  Do you have resources for this?

3) I'm sure there are other programs out there for Young Adults who are
convicted offenders.  What are they?  Tell me about them.

I know this is quite a lot for one email.  I hope I didn't overload you.
Thanks for your help!
Robin L. Clossman-Wright
RCWright@TheWrightChoice.com
Wright Consultants, Inc.