[NIFL-FAMILY:2915] Re: ESL family literacy program

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylrain@teleport.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 14:48:08 EDT

Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 14:48:08 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylrain@teleport.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2915] Re: ESL family literacy program

At 12:55 AM 5/3/2000 -0400, Jessie Bullock wrote:
<SNIP> We have parent time discussions for the first
>half hour each morning.  Is this type of structure common?

I'm not sure what is common. We have Parent Time once a week for an hour
every Friday. We began the year with a structured video curriculum, Padres
Activos (Active Parenting), with quite a bit of presentation and some
discussion time. We then went to a Parents Anonymous video series that has
short video clips and then much more discussion time. In between, we've had
speakers come in about dental health, domestic violence, and other topics of
interest.

We do these discussions in the native language, which in our case is
Spanish. We have several bilingual staff members. It does seem difficult to
have meaningful discussions about something as personal as parenting in a
second language, especially for the low-level learners. We found this year
that beginning with a more structured curriculum and then going to a more
discussion-based format worked well, since it takes time to develop the
trust necessary for frank discussions.

We are primarily pre-school based, but we do have one parent with a
kindergartener and 2nd grader. The kindergartners are a challenge, because
their school day doesn't last for the whole time of our program. We actually
use a bus to pick up one child and bring him here to participate with the
last of large motor time with the Head Start class and then daily PACT time
and lunch.

When you have mixed pre-school and some school-age children in the program,
it's difficult to figure out how to do some sort of consistent integrated
PACT time. We've had home visitors accompany parents to the school to be in
class with children and talk with the teachers occasionally, but often that
parent wants to leave our program early rather than staying for lunch, since
her children aren't here. We convinced her to stay one day a week for PACT
and lunch, for purposes of being part of the group and playing with children
whose mothers may be with another child or otherwise unavailable. This seems
to have worked fairly well.

Best of luck to you in developing your new program.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  Portland, OR USA  .  sylrain@teleport.com