[NIFL-ASSESSMENT:187] EFF Assessment

From: Dirose7@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 22:49:50 EDT

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:49:50 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-assessment@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Dirose7@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-assessment@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ASSESSMENT:187] EFF Assessment

Dear Colleagues,

This posting appeared on the EFF discussion list. Let me know your thoughts on this --

A PDF version of a new assessment report, The Equipped for the
Future/National Reporting System (EFF/NRS) Data Collection Project,
2000-2001, is available on the EFF Publications page at:
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/collections/eff/eff_publications.html.

The report focuses on the accomplishments of the first year of the
multiyear, jointly funded EFF/NRS Data Collection Project. It includes a
discussion of the work carried out on the development of the EFF Assessment
Framework, the field research process, the practice-based learning of
participants, and the implications of EFF work for enriching the educational
functioning levels of the NRS.

The appendices of the report present an array of documents, tools,
templates, etc., relevant to the project, including: a timeline of the EFF
assessment activities (2000-2004), the EFF Purposes of Assessment chart,
student documentation and teacher observation forms, performance templates
and performance task templates and worksheets, an annotated teacher
reporting form and excerpts from a data report on a performance task
developed for the EFF Standard, "Read With Understanding."

The ultimate goal of the EFF/NRS project is to enable programs using the EFF
Framework for instruction to report student progress from level to level on
the NRS. Earlier this month [NIFL-4EFF:2194], Mary Schneckenburger wrote,
"The performance tasks based on EFF standards include the ways the task
requires the performer to use each of the components of performance. How do
the components play into final evaluation? When I look at evaluations based
on knowledge base, fluency and independence I can't see the components
anymore. Are they still in there? "  I responded by suggesting that this
report, when it was released/read, could help us better understand the
relationship between the components of performance and instruction,
assessment and evaluation.

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions, on or off this
list.

Diane Rosenthal
NIFL Assessment Moderator
Executive Director