[NIFL-4EFF:2129] learner self-regulation

From: Eileen Eckert (eileeneckert@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 10:59:52 EDT

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:59:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Eileen Eckert" <eileeneckert@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2129] learner self-regulation

What strategies do you use to help students build their motivation and basic
self-regulation skills? By "basic" self-regulation skills I mean making
connections between their own behavior and the results in terms of learning,
like: coming to class on time every session and learning; coming prepared
with paper, pencil, homeowrk, etc. and learning; doing homework assignments
and learning; participating in class activities and learning; and
communicating positively with other students and the teacher and learning.

We've probably all had students who seem to think that if they come breathe
the rarified air of the classroom once in a while they will achieve their
academic purpose by something like osmosis (and if they don't it must be the
teacher's fault). Do you use EFF to help them make the connection between
their own actions and their learning? How? What are the results?

Thanks!