[NIFL-4EFF:2126] RE: Drug and Alcohol Recovery resources

From: KUTHFAM@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 21:47:17 EDT

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: KUTHFAM@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2126] RE: Drug and Alcohol Recovery resources

In a message dated 4/23/2002 10:56:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jransone2@jcplin.org writes:

> I am sure Ruth appreciates the resources list members have given.  I am
> wondering, however, if anyone has worked with drug and alcohol recovery
> within the EFF framework or if anyone has ideas how the framework can help
> students learn about and implement recovery strategies.

I have in a limited way. I am the ABLE instructor, not a drug and alcohol
recovery counselor.  I never teach anything directly drug and alcohol
related, although students may read or write about drug/alcohol related
issues.

One of the things I have done on numbers occasions is help a student
read/write/understand an assignment given as a part of his treatment plan.  I
would help the student read, or read the material to the student. I might
discuss the issue with the student, and if necessary do the writing for the
student. I'd prefer that if the student can't do his own writing, he tape
record his answers.  In that context, I use EFF.

One time a student came to me with a treatment plan.  He didn't know where to
begin.  I really didn't either, but began with EFF.  He was to write how he
could improve his family relationships.  He and I wrote down all the skills
from the skill wheel, leaving space to write something for each skill. We
went through each skill, and the student told how he could apply each skill
to improving family relationships.  In the end he listed how he would use
every single skill, including "use math to solve problems and communicate."
For that he wrote in "90 meetings in 90 days."

I encourage students to write using the skills on the wheel.  One essay topic
I use is "What have you learned in this recovery program and how will you use
it when you leave?"

I agree there is much overlap between recovery and EFF.  However, I am
careful not to overstep my boundaries. I am a teacher, not a drug and alcohol
counselor.  We may read, write and talk about recovery in the context of
reading and writing skills.  I help the student use the resources assigned to
him, but I do not assign specific recovery topics. That's not my job.  (If it
were, I could easily incorporate EFF into recovery.)

Millie Kuth
Hamilton City ABLE
Hamilton OH 45011