[NIFL-4EFF:1975] Re: EFF and GED classrooms

From: Virginia Tardaewether (tarv@exchange.chemeketa.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 19:11:37 EST

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:11:37 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Virginia Tardaewether <tarv@exchange.chemeketa.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1975] Re:  EFF and GED classrooms

My experience is that, as the leader of the class, one needs to help
students see that EFF is on the GED test.  Look at the NEW GED competencies
and have the students locate the EFF correlations....if that doesn't work
(it will) but if it doesn't then have the students look at their goals (ie
why are you gettting a GED?) and find how EFF fits those goals.  AND if that
doesn't work find out what their life/family goals are and have them link
that to EFF and the GED.  Personally, I think you are underselling your GED
students if you focus only on passing a test.  Is completion of high school
only about passing test?  I don't think so:  I think it is about
relationships, community, personal committment, humor, fun, hard work, play,
getting along with others and changing one's community.  If a person comes
to me with bad body ordor and no tactfulness and they leave only with a GED,
I have certainly not done all of my job.

PS:  How are you fitting technology skills into your classroom?  They aren't
necessarily on the GED, yet we are responsible for students gaining those
skills.

Va
Virginia Tardaewether

Chemeketa {Place of Peace}