[NIFL-FAMILY:883] Starbucks and stats :)

From: PRNancy@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 09:11:21 EST

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:11:21 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: PRNancy@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:883] Starbucks and stats  :)

Yup, Starbucks is so cool and I wonder if anybody on this list has applied
for their literacy grants?  :)

Well, I want to thank everybody for constantly passing along great resources
and information about literacy.  And now I have a few more areas I'd love to
talk about...

Anybody out there with Even Start grants targeting either homeless or teen
mom populations?  I'm trying to track down research about both of these
groups, and can't quite nail down specific grant language for homeless
literacy rates.

One of the projects will focus on a brand new transitional housing unit set
up by our County on a renovated Air Force Base.  There are all kinds of
issues, many of which have been discussed here, regarding "us versus them"
barriers and other design factors.  The teen mom program is in a county that
doesn't ever talk about teen sex much less unmarried or single moms, and
these young women are currently dropped out of mainstream schools and sent to
county adult ed departments if they continue education at all.

Any suggestions about research or stories from the field?

Thanks again for such a great group!

Nancy, wishing she had a Chai Tea or Caramel Macchiato!  :)

Nancy Van Leuven
PRNancy@aol.com