[NIFL-FAMILY:851] Re: Adults with Learning Disabilities

From: Carol Mazer (cmazer@pcc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 17:20:43 EST

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:20:43 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Carol Mazer <cmazer@pcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:851] Re: Adults with Learning Disabilities

--=====================_3186882==_.ALT

Steve-
Can you direct us to any sources for your interesting point below? I'd like
to read more about this. Thanks, Carol Mazer

At 05:53 PM 2/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>At 09:30 PM 02/21/2002 -0500, Gloria Nudelman wrote:
> ><SNIP>We have three adults who have progressed very slowly in
> >their English language acquisition.  They can read in Spanish.  Their
> >teachers have suggested to me that they have "learning disabilities".  I
> >believe them.
> >
> >Interestingly enough, all three adults have children who are also
> >targeted for special education services.
> >
> >What resources might be available to help these adults?
> ><SNIP>
>

>Just to add a quick note (that doesn't necessarily apply to the adults
>above, but may). The symptoms resulting from the effects of trauma -
>common, if not universal, in refugee populations - are nearly identical to
>learning disabilities and often get diagnosed as such. The trauma has to
>be treated to address the symptoms.
>
>Steven Rainey
>English Language Center
>Boise, Idaho

Carol Mazer
Family Literacy Programs Coordinator
PCC Literacy Center of W. Washington County
1001 S.W. Baseline Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97123

503 693-3237
fax: 503 648-4175
cmazer@pcc.edu
intercollege mail: WCWTC 1501
--=====================_3186882==_.ALT

Steve-<br>
Can you direct us to any sources for your interesting point below? I'd
like to read more about this. Thanks, Carol Mazer<br><br>
At 05:53 PM 2/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:<br><br>
&lt;sylvan@cccchs.org&gt; 02/26/02 01:57PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
At 09:30 PM 02/21/2002 -0500, Gloria Nudelman wrote:<br>
&gt;&lt;SNIP&gt;We have three adults who have progressed very slowly
in<br>
&gt;their English language acquisition.&nbsp; They can read in
Spanish.&nbsp; Their<br>
&gt;teachers have suggested to me that they have &quot;learning
disabilities&quot;.&nbsp; I<br>
&gt;believe them.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Interestingly enough, all three adults have children who are
also<br>
&gt;targeted for special education services.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;What resources might be available to help these adults?<br>
&gt;&lt;SNIP&gt;<br><br>
Just to add a quick note (that doesn't necessarily apply to the adults
above, but may). The symptoms resulting from the effects of trauma -
common, if not universal, in refugee populations - are nearly identical
to learning disabilities and often get diagnosed as such. The trauma has
to be treated to address the symptoms.<br><br>
Steven Rainey<br>
English Language Center<br>
Boise, Idaho</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Family Literacy Programs Coordinator<br>
County<br>
1001 S.W. Baseline Ave.<br>
Hillsboro, OR 97123<br><br>
fax: 503 648-4175<br>