[NIFL-FAMILY:824] Re: Adults with Learning Disabilities

From: Steve Rainey (srainey@mtnstatesgroup.org)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:53:56 EST

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:53:56 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Steve Rainey" <srainey@mtnstatesgroup.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:824] Re: Adults with Learning Disabilities

>>> Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org> 02/26/02 01:57PM >>>
At 09:30 PM 02/21/2002 -0500, Gloria Nudelman wrote:
><SNIP>We have three adults who have progressed very slowly in
>their English language acquisition.  They can read in Spanish.  Their
>teachers have suggested to me that they have "learning disabilities".  I
>believe them.
>
>Interestingly enough, all three adults have children who are also
>targeted for special education services.
>
>What resources might be available to help these adults?
><SNIP>

Just to add a quick note (that doesn't necessarily apply to the adults above, but may). The symptoms resulting from the effects of trauma - common, if not universal, in refugee populations - are nearly identical to learning disabilities and often get diagnosed as such. The trauma has to be treated to address the symptoms.

Steven Rainey
English Language Center
Boise, Idaho