[NIFL-FAMILY:817] RE: Concern about federal support for Famil

From: Jeri Levesque (levesqjr@webster.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 12:16:51 EST

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:16:51 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jeri Levesque <levesqjr@webster.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:817] RE: Concern about federal support for Famil

Ted,
At Webster University we have a graduate course in our Master of Arts in
Teaching program, Family Literacy. Students majoring in Reading and
Communication Arts tend to choose the course. We "count" the course as
applicable for reading certification.

Every student taking the course is required to develop a family literacy project
for their school. You can imagine the creativity it takes using learning centers
etc., to have a four component family literacy experience during a special
evening event! The teachers in my course are always surprised to learn about
family literacy -- they are generally unaware that Even Start exists. At the
same time, they are usually foggy about the incredible resources available from
their local public libraries.

Sarah Beaman-Jones from LIFT-Missouri makes regular presentations on family
literacy to the undergraduate introduction to reading instruction course. I am
confident that if program coordinators contacted the reading faculty at nearby
universities they would be welcomed to do class presentations on family
literacy. I also do a presentation to the Media Communications class - getting
the word out to the business and media folks is also a good way to raise the
profile of family literacy.

The last suggestion is to offer to do a presentation at the spring or fall
meeting of your local chapter of the International Reading Association. I've
been warmly received by our state council and asked to speak at local chapters.
The teachers' enthusiasm is great -- but starting a family literacy program is a
little more than they can handle.

Best,
Jeri Levesque, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Webster University
Director, Missouri Family Literacy Initiative