[NIFL-FAMILY:748] Re: Budget Request for Even Start

From: Linda Warren (jsflc@rcn.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 16:08:11 EST

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:08:11 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Linda Warren" <jsflc@rcn.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:748] Re: Budget Request for Even Start

We just completed a three year DOE funded statewide study of 300 Even Start
families in Massachusetts.  The results will be distributed to our
Congressmen and to key constituency groups  in the next few weeks.  Some of
the findings are particularly relevant to this discussion:

One has to do with the significant relationship we found between family
involvement in the schools and increased achievement in all readiness
indicators and behavior indicators of learning.  When parents visit
classrooms teachers rate student's progress twice as high as the ratings for
children whose parents do not visit.  This finding was significant at the
.05 level  (meaning that achievement may be dependent on a number of factors
outside of the scientific research reading approaches)

A second finding of particular relevance here is the the changes that occur
in families and young children --the longer they stay in the program.
Families (n=80) who remained in the Even Start program for 18 months or
longer were showed significant changes in thier abilities to meet family
needs and to depend on others in a wider variety of contexts
(self-sufficiency).   For families whose average participation was 18 months
or longer--87% got new or higher paying jobs earning $10 to $16 an hour with
benefits; 62% of their children who took the Massachusetts Statewide
Assessment Test passed (a significantly higher rate than non-Even Start
children) and 25% were awaiting the results.  87% of the children in these
families missed five or less days of school this year. 37% of the parents
entered a program of higher education...

Knowing this information is not enough.  The challenge is getting it to the
right people at the right time.  I am hoping the Family Literacy Alliance
will help.

Linda Warren
EArly Childhood Associates/JumpStart Family Literacy