[NIFL-FAMILY:640] Re: Identifying and Supporting Low

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 18:29:46 EST

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:29:46 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:640] Re: Identifying and Supporting Low

At 02:34 PM 01/14/2002 -0500, Virginia Tardaewether wrote:
>Syllabification has to do with readability more than verbal language
>expression, to me.  My students would be insulted or think I was mentally
>deficient if I left words such as syllable, conference, telephoning,
>experience, discipling, visitation, etc. out of discussions.

Of course, the issue isn't really the number of syllables. I once heard
that the issue is more around what words are familiar. It comes down to a
matter of register.

For example, we have a sign on the front door of our school/office that
says "Thank you for complying with our regulations." What would be so
terrible about saying "Thank you for following the rules"? We so often get
used to using our academic jargon without even being aware that we're
exhibiting elitism (acting hi-falutin') and using language that is
unfamiliar or intimidating to our students.

I try at least to be aware of when I'm using that register -- and I did
learn to use it in school, and often get into situations where it's quite
appropriate. But when you're trying to communicate with parents, especially
those with lower literacy levels, it's better to use nickel words than
50-cent words.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  sylvan@cccchs.org
Adult Education Teacher and Family Literacy Program Manager
Clackamas County Children's Commission  .  Oregon City, OR USA